10 Jun Prajna Paramita Heart Sutra, Part 40
[Series of Master Shen-Long expounding on the Prajna Paramita (Perfection of Transcendent Wisdom) Heart Sutra]
(Last week we ended with,”Does Buddha have materialistic phenomena, feeling, thinking, mental formation? No, he does not.)
Next talking about consciousness; there are four kinds:
- The first five consciousness are “eyes, ears, noise, tongue, body” which produces “sight, sound, scent-smell, taste and touch”.
- The sixth sub-consciousness is the perception and discriminative ability of the mind.
- The seventh is attachment called Manas consciousness.
- The eighth is the Alaya consciousness which is the memory file. This file is very exquisite; where every bit and all the trivialities from generation to generation are filed. Frankly speaking, after something is done we have already forgotten, but this Alaya consciousness does not forget and all images imprint exactly like a filing storage warehouse; from immeasurable existence of world-periods (eons) up until today, it is completely clear of all phenomena.
What does it record? Illusions.
A person’s stubbornness is which consciousness? The Manas consciousness – the seventh consciousness as I want to do it this way, I want to do it that way, I must be that way, I ought to be what way; these are stubbornness.
Ancient people constantly spoke about “choosing what is good and holding fast to it.” They only chose what is good; however, Buddhism is “choosing what is pure and good holding fast to it”. “To persist in pureness” means without defilement.
You can ask anyone at random – whether you have purified of defiling illusion in this life? They are unclear about this.
Why? They have defilement – delusional thought and attachment.
Then what is the sixth consciousness, which we often describe as the sub-conscious; what is it? It is the delusional thought on this.
This “delusional”, why speak of it as delusional? It is unreal and illusory, and basically has no track to follow as shadows and images. If we live in delusional thought and attachment, I am telling you, you have treated yourself wrongfully; you will also die wrongfully, be alive wrongfully, be aged wrongfully, and be sick wrongfully.
So, what is the meaning of life then? It is very simple, you do not have this dream anymore; stop it, then your life has meaning.
Why? You will no longer worry about any matters.
- You will no longer need to sleep, and you do not feel tired at all.
- You do not need to eat anything.
Before the venerable Monk Guang-Qin was this way, he had no need for eating. He was reluctantly to eat a piece of fruit; he was showing everyone that he was the same as everyone by still eating something.
- Absolutely do not have any afflictions.
To the average person, it appears one has become superman. In fact, that is not so; everyone can be this way. The problem with our education is that it does not include the method for how to become enlightened. So, the first time we hear it, we feel strange:
What is this enlightenment about?
How should I apply it in daily life?
Frankly speaking, when you relax you have already applied it. The key question is how to relax? It is relaxing any time and any place without others and without the self. It is not to ignore everything; it is truly to relax the mind. For instance, you sit here for a couple hours, and during these two hours your mind is composed.
- No dozing off.
- Your mind was not in a mess.
- Your mind did not search everywhere for a target.
You have this kind of ability; and if within a whole day, you can have ten minutes to be this way, then I congratulate you because you will have 1% chance to detach from life and death phenomena.
Each one of us lives in this world to do what, do you know? No, you have no idea.
You ask a person where you come from? One does not know.
What to do in this life? One barely knows enough.
Where do you go? Unknown.
One who has religious belief will answer on the side of their religious belief. One without religious belief will put trust in oneself. There is another kind who does not believe in anything and does not believe in oneself, and they live in confusion every day.
This kind of phenomena is what? It is all materialistic phenomena, feeling, thinking, mental formation, and consciousness. This consciousness one has not yet developed. Without development, one does not have wisdom.
What is wisdom? The mind is like a mirror that can reflect everything in clarity and one can see things clearly, and certainly does not arise with afflictions and doubt. In that case then, it is correct.